Sunday, August 23, 2026

Reflection on Romans 12:1-8


Romans 12:1-8

1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, on the basis of God’s mercy, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your reasonable act of worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of the mind, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.

  3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. 4 For as in one body we have many members and not all the members have the same function, 5 so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually we are members one of another. 6 We have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us: prophecy, in proportion to faith; 7 ministry, in ministering; the teacher, in teaching; 8 the encourager, in encouragement; the giver, in sincerity; the leader, in diligence; the compassionate, in cheerfulness.

 

Sermon

Go Down Again by Wisecarvers

(Performed by Higher Ground)

 

No eloquent prophecy, or fancy miracle for all to see,

Just the words, “Go down seven times”,

So as Namaan made his way, into the Jordan River that day,

I can’t help but think what was on his mind.

 

As he slowly reached the water’s edge, it rushes in over his head,

He looks to see if the curse has washed away,

Ooh, does He say…

 

I keep going down and getting back up,

But I see no change, I feel no touch from you,

Lord, where could you be,

This water’s dirty and it’s cold,

But there’s healing in it so I’m told,

A miracle, but I’ve yet to see,

But I’m staying here until you’re through,

Until I get a hold of you,

I’m gonna keep believing but until then,

I’m gonna go down again.

 

I know what I feel deep inside,

I’ve heard your voice a thousand times but now,

That seems so long ago…

 

Ooh, I’m now still trying to believe,

That somehow you’re listening,

But I would like a sign so I could know,

Ooooh, surely there’s hope left yet,

You wouldn’t just forget,

I’m fighting on my knees to get to you,

So this is what I’m gonna do…

 

I’ll keep going down and getting back up,

’Til I see a change or feel a touch from you,

I know you’re hearing me,

This place is lonely and it’s cold,

But it’s Holy Ground so I’m told,

The secret place where you will meet with me.

 

So I’m staying here until you’re through,

Until I get a hold of you,

I’m gonna keep believing but until then,

I’m gonna go down again. . .

I’m gonna go down again. . .

I’m gonna go down again. . .

In one sense, that is worship.  Worship is coming back time and time again, hoping beyond hope that God will finally hear us and hold us and heal us.  Like Namaan, who keeps going back down to the waters, seven times in all, hoping to feel a touch from God and see a change in the dreadful condition of his skin, we too come back to the waters over and over again until God shows us mercy. 

Just the other day I stumbled upon a man on social media who absolutely did not believe in God, had never been raised in a Godly household, and had never said a single prayer in his life.  Even so, he decided one day to do an experiment.  He decided that he would start living his life as if he did believe in God.  He decided to pray and talk to God several times a day (especially while riding his bike to work).

He would intentionally take time to notice people in need and help in some way, by giving food or a gift card. 

He would read the Bible every day, starting with the stories of Jesus in the gospels. 

And he would start going to church and start asking questions.

It started off a little rocky, especially the going to church part.  He tried talking to a priest who was preparing to walk up the aisle to begin worship.  He was told that there was no time to talk.  He was dismissed by another pastor who was suspicious of his intentions.  Yet, he persisted with prayer, reading the Bible, and helping others.

After a single month of his daily experiment, in fact, just two days ago, he posted a video showing him in tears.  It had just dawned on him that God loved him so much, that Jesus would die for him.  With tears flowing, he kept fluctuating between saying sorry to God for all the terrible things he had done and thanking God for such love that would go to the cross to save someone like him.

The man had finally been shown the truth about God.  God’s is merciful. 

In Romans, the Apostle Paul says things like, “I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, on the basis of God’s mercy,” and also says, “For by the grace given to me I say to everyone…” (Romans 12:1 and 12:3).  Whenever talking, Paul always starts with God’s mercy.  Paul always starts with God’s grace.  For Paul, the basis of our worship is always first reflecting on the goodness of God and the love of God found in Jesus Christ. 

So, we do that.  We come each week and hear about the mercy of God again and again, allowing these scriptures of mercy that we hear again and again to become a part of our daily lives until it breaks through our disbelief and our anxiety and our struggles.

“Still Waters” by Leanna Crawford

Great Aunt Maurine said at a hundred and three

Write scripture on your heart for when you need it
'Cause anxiety hates Psalm 23
So just say it to yourself 'til you believe it
And I'm feeling like I'm needing it right now

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want

He leads me by still waters 'til my fears are gone
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Oh, I know You are with me, my Father, my friend
Your goodness and mercy will follow me all of my days
I know by Your still waters, I'm safe

Lord, I believe You can set me at ease

Turn this broken piece in me to peace and quiet
I know there's power in Your word
So I'll say it over and over 'til my soul's reminded

Oh, The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want

He leads me by still waters 'til my fears are gone
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Oh, I know You are with me, my Father, my friend

Your goodness and mercy will follow me all of my days
I know by Your still waters, I'm safe

Still waters run through any valley I could find

I'm laying fear down here at Heaven's riverside
Your word has been true in every season of my life
I believe, yes, I believe still waters run through any valley I could find
I'm laying fear down here at Heaven's riverside
Your word has been true in every season of my life
I believe, yes, I believe

Oh, The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want

He leads me by still waters 'til my fears are gone
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Oh, I know You are with me, my Father, my friend
Your goodness and mercy will follow me all of my days
I know by Your still waters I'm safe

Whenever God’s mercy has proven to be true and we see it in our daily lives, faith comes flooding into our souls and we believe.  It drives us to give thanks again and again in a repetitive chorus that thanks God for showing us goodness and mercy.  That is worship.  But worship does not stop there.

The Apostle Paul says, “on the basis of God’s mercy, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God,” and he says that presenting our bodies as living sacrifice is our “reasonable act of worship” (Romans 12:1).  So, worship always starts with hearing about God’s mercy and praising God for that mercy, but it does not stop there.  The song continues.  The worship does not end.  Worshipping God follows us out the doors of the church.

We had a professor in our pastoral training who famously asked, “What is the longest part of the worship service?”  Most people answer with a knowing moan, “The sermon.”  As a kid, I loved my pastor’s sermons.  He was imaginative and engaging.  I did not learn well.  But I always got antsy during the eucharistic prayer.  That thing can go on and on and on.  But our professor dismissed all those answers as wrong.

“The longest part of the worship service is the sending.  A worship leaders says, ‘Go in peace and serve the Lord,’ we say, ‘Thanks be to God,’ and then we go out and serve for the next six and a half days.  That is the longest part of our worship.”

“Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your reasonable act of worship” (Romans 12:1).  Hearing the word of God does something to us.  It transforms us.  It changes us from worldly people to people who care about the world, just like Jesus.

Our encounter with God does something to us.  It makes us care about others.  It makes us stick out our necks for other people who cannot speak for themselves.  It makes us into people who care about justice and mercy.  It makes us like Moses who transformed from a bumbling public speaker to a prophet who demanded that Pharoah let his people go.

Go Down Moses by The Lower Lights

When Israel was in Egypt's land

Let my people go
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people go

Go down, Moses
Way down in Egypt's land
Tell old Pharaoh
Let my people go

No more shall they in bondage toil
Let my people go
But let them come with Egypt's spoil
Let my people go

Go down, Moses
Way down in Egypt's land
Tell old Pharaoh
Let my people go

The LORD told Moses what to do
Let my people go
To lead the Hebrew children through
Let my people go

Go down, Moses
Way down in Egypt's land

Tell old Pharaoh
Let my people go

As Israel stood by the waterside
Let my people go
At God's command it did divide
Let my people go

Go down, Moses
Way down in Egypt's land
Tell old Pharaoh
Let my people go

Oh let us all from bondage flee
Let my people go
And let us all in Christ be free
Let my people go

Go down, Moses
Way down in Egypt's land
Tell old Pharaoh
Let my people go

Go down, Moses
Way down in Egypt's land
Tell old Pharaoh
Let my people go

The woman that I talked to this week is no Moses, leading a whole nation of people to freedom, but she is no spiritual lightweight either.  Moses had gifts of leadership given to him by God, and she has other gifts that God has given.  Paul says that “We have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us: prophecy, in proportion to faith; ministry, in ministering; the teacher, in teaching; the encourager, in encouragement; the giver, in sincerity; the leader, in diligence; the compassionate, in cheerfulness” (Romans 12:6-8).

If I had to label the woman’s gift, I would say that she is a disciple of “noticing.”  You see, the woman owns a little boutique, and just the other day a customer came in, looking around aimlessly, and she noticed that the young woman had tears as she looked through the items. She asked her what was wrong and the young woman said that it was the anniversary of her husband’s death, and as if that weren’t bad enough, she just found out that her sister has cancer.  For two hours this woman noticed and listened, and shared God’s concern for the young woman, and then took the time to pray with her.

The woman told me, “This is why I refuse to go work somewhere else where I could make a lot more money than I do in my shop.  If I went somewhere else, I wouldn’t have time to notice people.  It wouldn’t have time to listen to people.  I wouldn’t have time for people.” 

And this is this woman’s spiritual worship.  This is her sacrifice.  This is how she takes that mercy that she has been shown by Jesus and uses it throughout her week.  This is how she worships during the “sending” portion of worship. 

And this is the shape of your worship as well.  We see God’s mercy.  It heals us and makes us well.  It gives us faith.  And it transforms us so that others can be made well.  It transforms us so that the terrible waves and wind of life can be transformed into calm waters of faith for them as well.

It is Well by Bethel Music

Grander earth has quaked before

Moved by the sound of His voice
And seas that are shaken and stirred
Can be calmed and broken for my regard

Through it all, through it all

My eyes are on You
Through it all, through it all
It is well
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
And it is well, with me

Far be it from me to not believe

Even when my eyes can't see
And this mountain that's in front of me
Oh will be thrown into the midst of the sea

Through it all, through it all

My eyes are on You
Through it all, through it all
It is well
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
And it is well, it is well

So let go my soul and trust in Him

The waves and wind still know His name

So let go my soul and trust in Him

The waves and wind still know His name

So let go my soul and trust in Him

The waves and wind still know His name

The waves and wind still know His name

It is well with my soul

It is well with my soul
It is well with my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul
It is well with my soul (it is well, it is well, it is well)
It is well with my soul (it is well, it is well, it is well)
It is well with my soul (it is well, it is well, it is well)
It is well, it is well with my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul

'Through it all, through it all

My eyes are on You
Through it all, through it all
It is well
Through it all, through it all
My eyes are on You
It is well, it is well, it is well
With me"
 

No comments: