Friday, April 7, 2023

Reflection on John 19:26-27 (Good Friday)

 


“When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home. (NRSV John 19:26-27)


A seven sentence sermon for Good Friday

When I am in pain I wince and close my eyes, but Jesus opened his eyes and saw.

Jesus saw a mother who would be alone, and a beloved friend who would feel abandoned.

When I am in pain, the torture forces me to close my eyes as I cry for others to come and help.

When suffering torture, Jesus opened his eyes, saw the pain in the faces below him, and he made certain they were loved.

“Here is your son…here is your mother,” he uttered choosing to use his final breaths to create a new family.

That is love.

Crosses are nothing, death is nothing, and sin is nothing when God’s love sees us.

No comments: