Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Lenten Reflection on John 1:35-42

 


“Come and see.”  Jesus’ first invitation to those who would become some of his most trusted followers was actually quite simple, “Come and see.” 

I once posted a sermon online that said as much.  I said something to the effect that, “You do not have to have all the answers to the faith in order to invite someone to follow Jesus.  It is really as simple as saying, ‘Come and see.’”  The message seemed faithful enough.  It came right from the Bible after-all.

But, the internet loves throwing surprises your way.  Two days later I received a comment on my sermon from some very, very wise person on the internet that excoriated me being such a weak person of faith.  “How can you even call yourself a pastor?” they asked.  My sin?  Well, they let me know that Matthew 10:17-20 would explain it all.

17Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; 18and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. 19When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; 20for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

I got the insinuation.  The insinuation was that if I were a true Christian, I would not have such a weak testimony as “Come and see.”  If I trusted Jesus enough, I would be able to share some life changing words to all those who are seeking to kill me at the grocery store and the barber shop.

Now, I do not know what kind of people this commenter hangs out with, but none of my friends have ever flogged me or drug me in front of any councils for trial.  Again, we might hang out with different crowds, but the women in my Bible studies have never tried to crucify me.  They are wonderful, beautiful people, as you might expect.  I do not need to worry about having the right words.  My life is not at stake.  What I do need is to have a good, loving, and trusting relationship with those with whom I share the good news.  That is all. 

Granted, some people might feel as if sharing their faith is the same as facing a death squad, but I assure you that it is not.  If people love you, they love you for who you are.  And, if they love you, then they will also love to know more about you and about the things in which you are interested.  That includes your faith.  In such a loving and trusting relationship, “Come and see” is more than enough.

After-all, it was good enough for Jesus!  He did not sit down and put everyone through a Bible quiz before they could follow him.  Jesus simply said, “Come and see” because, with Jesus, it is always about loving relationships. 

That is how the world is changed.  That is how the love of God is shared, within loving relationships.  “Come and see.”

In this way, we followers of Christ are “intentionally invitational.”  We have a “Come and see” attitude.  We intentionally invite those we know and love to “Come and see.”  And, when they come and see, Jesus has an opportunity to live in them, and they in he.

In Matthew 11:28 Jesus again invites us:  “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” 

How much better of an invitation can you possible get than that!  It is so gentle.  It is so enticing.  It like inviting a friend to come to the spa and have a massage for the soul. 

We invite people to come to good restaurants, to go on vacations, and to go do interesting things with us all the time.  Why would we not want those in our lives to have their burdens lifted and have more rest?  What better gift could you give a person these days than the gift of true rest?

“Come to me,” Jesus says.  “Come and see,” Jesus invites.  Jesus is intentionally invitational.  He is always inviting others into a life of divine rest and love.

So too, our lives as followers of Christ revolve around the value of “intentional invitation.”  We are “intentionally invitational” with those in our lives for whom we care.  We want others to have that heavenly rest.  We want others to find meaning and purpose in their lives.  We want others to know the one who loves them as they are and gives them life and saves. 

We are intentionally invitational because we care.  So, yes, we do say, “Come and see.”  Come and see Jesus.

No comments: