Sunday, November 8, 2020

Reflection on Matthew 25:1-13

 


This story is my story in many ways, and it is not because of the number of times I have been a bridesmaid, which is zero, to your relief I am sure.

And, it certainly is not because I have never owned oil lamps.  If fact, I did have an “against the rules” oil lamp in my college dorm room that I would light so that I could study late at night and not wake my roommate.  I do have a rebellious side to me after-all, me and my illegal oil lamp explicitly used for literary purposes.  

I do connect with falling asleep and running out of oil though.  I do not know about you, but I have burned plenty of oil this year.  I have literally burned oil through the night, putting together online worship content and planning worship for the day. 

I have worried about my children, struggled with a full schedule that never seems to stop, and burned plenty of oil in the process. 

And plenty of oil has been burned up in grief over my father when I should have been resting or doing something productive. 

And, I have to admit that there have been plenty of times that I have fallen asleep, my oil burning itself out; not certain of what I have missed in the process or even who I have missed.

There certainly have been phone calls that I should have been making over the past few months that I have not dialed.  Most certainly there have been opportunities to bring a word of good news to someone yearning to hear it that I completely just ignored because my eyes were set straight and I was too wrapped up in my own life and my own concerns to see.  If you were one of those opportunities, I truly ask for your forgiveness.

Like all the bridesmaids in the story, I confess to falling asleep, and sometimes not even realizing that I have done so.  I confess to missing chances to be the hands and feet of Jesus because my eyes were too droopy.   I confess to being one of those bridesmaids who were completely unprepared when Jesus walked by and the chance to join in with Jesus slipped away.

How about you?  How many relationships have you missed out on throughout these last few months?  What chances to be the presence of Jesus to someone have slipped past you? 

One friend admitted that she was unable to get anything done the past few days while waiting for the election results.  Another admitted that they stopped talking to certain people because of who they backed politically.  I do not have either of those specific problems, but I completely understand where they are coming from.  I have definitely been there.  Something has gotten in the way of being there for others, and I suspect that has happened to you from time to time.

When I think on these things, this story from Jesus becomes pretty depressing.  I know, that is precisely why you came to listen today, to hear something completely depressing.  Do not worry, it gets better soon.  But, I cannot ignore the Bible, and neither should you. 

So, here we go: Ten bridesmaids all fall asleep waiting for the bridegroom to arrive.  He was running late and their lamps burn out from the wait.  Five of them failed to think ahead and bring extra oil.  The bridegroom did arrive and when these five women awoke, they realized that they would not be able to light the party along with the others whose lamps had been refilled with oil.  They ran off to buy oil, and when they were finished and sought to enter the festivities, the bridegroom met them at the door and told each of them that he did not know them.  They have missed out.  

That feels a lot like running on the boardwalk to return to the cruise ship, but seeing that it has already pulled away from port and there is nothing that you can do to get to the ship.  It feels hopeless.

Sometimes it just is hopeless.  Sometimes you had an opportunity to help someone, but you were either out of oil or off buying some more, and it is just too late.  You missed the boat.  You missed the feast. 

You missed the chance to walk beside Jesus and bless the poor in spirit, or bless the grieving, or provide someone some much needed peace, or join with those who seek justice and help those who need justice.  Sometimes the chance is gone and that is that.  

So, if it is all hopelessness and depression, if we have missed the boat or missed the chance to walk with Jesus, why does Jesus tell this story?  You just do not tell a story about keeping awake to the possibilities of God, to those very people you believe to be beyond hope.  

No!  You tell these stories to people who are the light of the world.  You tell these stories to people who you trust can become the people of God; the followers of Jesus Christ.  You tell these stories to people who have been forgiven through the power of the cross. You tell these stories to people who have simply forgotten that they have been pulled up from the grave by Jesus into new life.  You only tell these stories to people in whom you have hope.  

Do not forget, all the bridesmaids fell asleep waiting for the bridegroom.  All of us fail to be a kingdom people at some point.  It happens to us all.  But, this story is also told to those of us who feel like we have waited too long to fill our lamps again.  We are not too late!  

You are the forgiven people of God.  You have been sealed by the Holy Spirit with water and a cross of oil on your forehead, forever.  You have a reserve of holy, abundant oil in that little cross that simply cannot run out.  The Holy Spirit has been poured out on you, present with you even now, and wakes you from your slumber so that when the bridegroom, Jesus, walks past you are ready to join him, full of holy oil.  

You do not need to go find some other oil to fill up on.  You do not need to fuel your life with substances, or Reese Peanut Butter Cups, or pleasure, or baths surrounded by candles, or designer cloth masks, or any other thing.  Jesus has already given you the oil.  His Holy Spirit is right there, allowing you to burn bright; allowing your life to burn with Christ's serving love.

Jesus fully desires you to walk with him while he does his kingdom work.  You are his light in a dark time.  You do not have to take part in the darkness. You do not have to be a part of the negativity.  

You are his presence in a time when close, personal presence is discouraged.  You can figure out a way to make it work safely.  You can figure out how to be a source of love to someone who needs it.  

You are his joy when the world grieves its problems and losses.  You do not need to join in the unending chorus of “The world is sunk and won’t get any better!”

As Jesus declared, “You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven” (NRSV, Matthew 5:14-16).

Let your light shine!  And, if it feels like you do not have any oil, come my way.  I have been there.  I can help you find where Jesus has put your reserve.


No comments: