Monday, June 1, 2020

A Reflection for the Graduates of 2020





Class of 2020, I have to admit that I have no idea what to say to you. 

This should not be that hard.  I have delivered quite a number of these Baccalaureate sermons over the years, and usually they are about going forth into the future, confident in the gifts that God has given you, so that you can made a difference for God in the place that God has chosen for you!  But, that is a sermon for…like…a whole three months ago. 

That was a sermon for students who went to prom, finished out their sports seasons, had their last band and choral performances, built their last projects, and got to shine in the spring musical.  That was a sermon for students who had an idea what the future was going to hold. 

Admittedly, the move from High School to the wider world has always been a mystery to students…a new, unknown adventure…but it was always a move that parents, teachers, and school councilors understood very well.  At least we, the adults, knew what you were moving into, even if you did not!

But, that is so early March.  That is a lifetime ago.  And, now we have parents and teachers and school administrators who do not know the answers to your questions about the future any better than you do.  And, we have pastors who do not know what to say at baccalaureates. 

I have a story about my Grandpa Herbert that was only vaguely related to the classes before you, and really does not relate to you now.  I could tell that!  What do you say to a people of God who have lost so much?  What do you say to a people of God who do not know where to turn?  What do you say?

I guess, you say, you are disciples of Christ.  And, what I mean by that is that the first disciples of Christ also once found themselves without direction, lost, and without a clue how to take a step forward when their hope, their teacher, and their source of love died on a cross.  They did not know what to do.  Most ran from the scene.  Some women stayed and wept.  Ten of Jesus’ most trusted disciples locked themselves away in a room. 

Have you stormed away, locking yourself in your room lately?  Well, you are in good company.

So, I guess in a time when we do not know what the future will hold or even have a clue what it is all going to look like…when we are grieving the opportunities that have been lost and have trouble seeing through the pain to focus on where the road forward even lays, I guess we can take comfort in the fact that all the great disciples of early Christianity were in the same boat.  That boat might be sinking, but at least we are in good company.

And, I guess we can take comfort in the words that Jesus gave those disciples right before they faced their uncertain future.  The words of Jesus from the gospel of Matthew sound like this: “after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee. 

And, the words of Jesus from the gospel of John say it like this: “If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.” 

And, the message, again and again echo scriptures like the one from Deuteronomy that promises, “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."  And also the words from Isaiah that promise, “I will go before you and level the mountains, I will break in pieces the doors of bronze and cut through the bars of iron.” 

And, they are all words that promise that even though you have no idea what you are heading into in this world and even though I do not have any clue how to guide you through the wise words of a Baccalaureate sermon, there is someone who does. 

There is someone who is already there on the other side of all this mess.  There is someone who has prepared a place for you on the other side of the struggle that we are all now facing.  And, that someone, Jesus Christ, has promised that “if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.”

You are not alone in this.  Not only are other disciples like myself and your parents and teachers stumbling through all of this alongside you, but Jesus has already traveled the path.  He knows where you are going.  He is already there on the other side of the dark valley, and he has promised to take you there where there is new life and new opportunities.

Have courage friends, not because you know the way forward, but because you follow the one who does: Jesus Christ our Lord, out of whose hand you cannot be snatched.  And, also be thankful that you did not have to hear about my Grandpa Herbert.  God bless each and every one of you.


Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Isaiah 45:2-25
I will go before you and level the mountains, I will break in pieces the doors of bronze and cut through the bars of iron, I will give you the treasures of darkness and riches hidden in secret places, so that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, who call you by your name.

Matthew 26:32
But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.”

John 14:3
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.


No comments: