Saturday, December 14, 2019

Reflection on Matthew 3:1-12

As they made their way through the trees, it was the waters they could not wait to see.  It was the waters that they hoped would wash them clean.  It was the waters of the Jordan that they hoped would heal them and make them whole. 

You see, it was the waters that that parted and allowed God’s holy people to cross into the Promised Land.  It was the waters of the Jordan in which Naaman the Syrian bathed which healed the all consuming sores on his skin.  And, it was the waters of the Jordan that reverberated the voice of John the Baptist, "Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.” 

Lives of straight paths are what the crowds hoped for as they made their way into the refreshing waters.  Their deep desire was that everything that creates roadblocks to God’s mercy and goodness in their lives might be washed away.  They wanted the Lord’s path to them to be straight.  They wanted the Lord’s path to be clear of roadblocks.  They wanted the Lord’s path to be free of sin and illness and everything else that gets in the way of the wonders of the Lord.

So, they were baptized in the waters of the Jordan.  It was not a Christian baptism which would make them a part of God’s people (they already were family with God through Abraham presumably), but rather, it was a baptism that washed away sin and made them feel clean and good and ready for the coming of the Lord.

And, we still make those sort of pilgrimages today.  People pay good money at spas to have the troubles of their lives washed away in mineral rich waters and toxins removed through therapeutic hands.  Others seek the cleansing smoke of Native American rituals, bathing in an ever rising river of natural fragrance.  Still others wash their sin and pain away in a bath of beer and whiskey. 

I prefer wash away my troubles with a cleansing bath of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.  There’s nothing that a glorious mouth wash of sweet and salty goodness cannot fix…at least for a couple of minutes.

And, that is the problem, is it not?  A nice, relaxing dinner always comes to an end, and the problems of the world return.  The massage that rejuvenated the soul is shaken off in a matter of minutes as you leave the spa and walk to the car that will return you to real life. 

Even John the Baptist admits that his watery baptism of repentance that washes away sin and leaves you ready for the Lord is merely temporary.  The cleansing waters may bring forgiveness, but the cause of sin and pain still remains.  “I baptize you with water for repentance,” John the Baptist declares, “but one who is more powerful than I is coming after me.” 


You see, there is only so much that we can do to heal our souls.  We can ease each other’s pains temporarily.  We can listen to each other’s problems and guide each other in paths forward.  We can even forgive sins committed against us, setting free our friends and family from guilt. 

One fact of which each of us is keenly aware is that none of these things get to the root of the problem.  None of these things fixes the soul.  Each of these things may repair the harm that the soul creates, but the soul is still wounded and will create harm again.  So, the amazing thing that John the Baptist promises is that the one coming after him will baptize us not only with water, but also “with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

You see, the purpose of a baptism of fire is not to wash the outside clean, but to purify the very soul itself.  When you take some metal and melt it down into a molten soup, all of the impurities raise to the top.  It is at this point that the sword smith or skillet maker can scrape off all the impurities that do you belong in the metal.  That way, the pure metal can be poured into a new mold and a new creation can be made. 

In the same way, Jesus comes not to just wash our sin and pain off of the outside, but to transform us into something new and pure.  In other words, John is saying, “a baptism of water is fine, but give me Jesus.”

“Give me Jesus.”  That reminds me, before my wife and I went to seminary we worked regular jobs and lived a regular life in a regular neighborhood.  And, in that regular neighborhood was a wonderful old woman, the neighbor across the street, who looked out for us and made sure this young couple was taken care of. 

Dorothy would take us out to have Chinese food periodically…or rather, she would enlist our help in taking her out for Chinese food.  At the Four Seasons Chinese Buffet, she would encourage us to partake in her favorite dessert: those warm, fried sugared rolls.  Her face would transform from revealing a life of age related aches and pains to one of pure ecstasy. 

However, being a good Christian woman, she would remark each and every time, “These are absolutely delicious, but I still wouldn’t trade them for Jesus.  Give me Jesus.”  That was her life.  It was one of enjoying life, but never confusing that enjoyment with the life that Jesus provides.  She would give it all up in order to have Jesus.

Only Jesus can melt down our souls, scrape out the impurities that lead us in the wrong direction and scrape away the pain that holds us hostage, and then pour us out into a mold to create something new for the world to see.  I have seen it happen over and over again as addicts are transformed into therapists, and those with disabilities are transformed into motivational speakers.  I have seen it happen as enemy soldiers who are filled with hate are transformed into people bearing mercy, and long estranged brothers are brought back together. 

Having a beer or two to relieve the pressures of life is all well and good for the short term, but in the end, give me Jesus.  You can have all this world and all its riches and all its fixes, but as for me, give me Jesus.

Give Me Jesus
(Afro-American spiritual)

I heard my mother say
I heard my mother say
I heard my mother say
Give me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus

Dark midnight was my cry
Dark midnight was my cry
Dark midnight was my cry
Give me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus

In the morning when I rise
In the morning when I rise
In the morning when I rise
Give me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus

And when I've come to die
When I've come to die
Oh, when I've come to die
Give me Jesus

Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You can have all this world
But give me Jesus

You can have all this world
But give me Jesus


No comments: