Thursday, February 15, 2018

Reflection on Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21

I would not be so hard on those hypocrites listed in Matthew, because I have been there.  I have been one of those hypocrites. 

You see, people most often assume the worst about people when they do something in a very public way. 

For example, that guy who tries to pray eloquently out loud so that others will be pleased by his words, I am pretty certain that most of us have been that man.  We should not assume that he is so bad. 

I am not saying that all of us have prayed eloquently out loud, but I am saying that most of us are worried about sounding intelligent when asked to pray in front of others.  I do not know of a single person who does not worry a little bit about how they sound when they pray in a group setting. 

I have been in the situation (before I became a pastor and prayer became an expected part of the job description) where I have been asked to pray out loud, but I declined because I was too worried about what I would say and how I would sound.  So, do not be too hard on that guy who is just trying to do it right.

Also, do not be hard on that fasting girl who shares what she is up to with others.  After-all, you are not in your right mind when you are short on calories.  Plus, fasting is a big commitment.  You do kind of want someone to share in the experience, if even a little bit.  She is just trying to do the right thing by fasting for God’s sake.

Now, I can honestly say that I have never blown the trumpet before me as I have proceeded to give my offering in church.  I have rarely given the type of donation that would warrant a trumpet, or even a kazoo.  But, I do remember a time that $5 was what I gave, and it was a huge sacrifice because it could have paid for some needed food.  I did want others to see that I at least put something in the plate.  At least I was trying.

I guess that is my point in all of this; each of these people tried.  They were trying to do the right thing.  They were trying to be good, faithful people.  They were trying to fit in with the norms of the faith community. 

Do not be too hard on them because they are you, and me, and the person next to you.  We have tried over and over again to do it right, but as is often the case, we have somehow missed the mark.

You know what was lost in those times that I was worried what others would think about my prayers or my manner of speaking when delivering a prayer?  The prayer.  The prayer was lost.  The relationship with God was lost.  The conversation with God was lost. 

The whole idea of praying out loud became a wall that separated me from God because I was too worried about doing it right.  It is all the same with the giving and the fasting, we are so often worried about doing it right, doing this faith thing right, that we miss the opportunity to actually have a relationship with God.

What if? 

What if Jesus made it OK to just go to your room and talk to him?  No walls of worry about your public performance.

What if? 

What if Jesus told you that it does not matter what other people think about what you are giving?  What if Jesus just cared about if you show love for others?  Then Jesus would see your heart and your gift.  No walls of community approval needed.

What if? 

What if Jesus simply wants to be close to you when you fast or do some other sort of spiritual discipline?  What if being close to you and showing you grace is all he cares about?  What if your spiritual discipline is not about what you are doing for God, but rather an opportunity for God to do something to you?

You are a child of God through the blood of the cross.  You are a child of God because Jesus wanted to call you a sister or brother. 

You did not have to do anything to earn this inclusion in the holy family and you do not have to prove anything in order to maintain this family inheritance; not to God; not to God’s other faithful people; not to anybody. 

There is no need to prove yourself.  Proving yourself does nothing but build an unneeded wall between you and your relationship with Jesus Christ. 

Imagine that, for one reason or another, you felt you had to prove to the world that you loved your son.  Therefore, you spend all your time buying him the toys, the bikes, and the cars that everyone can see. 

Unfortunately, you are so concerned about proving your love that you actually forget to actually love your son.  You actually forget to spend time with him and show him the ropes of riding a bike in the backyard where he will not be embarrassed when he falls. 

Worrying about what others think is a wall, and it gets in between all that you love and all who love you, including God.

When you choose a spiritual discipline this Lent, one that seeks to bring you closer to God (such as reading the Bible more, attending worship more, fasting and praying, doing spiritual artwork, whatever you choose) feel free not to enter into the Lenten discipline conversation at church or work. 

You do not have to enter into that yearly, predictable conversation that goes, "I'm only two days into Lent and I already ate the chocolate!  Oops!" 

You are free from having that conversation.  You are free from the pressures of the outside world.  You are free to have the most beautiful relationship with Jesus that one could possibly develop, and no one needs to know.  After-all, your spiritual heart is about you and Jesus, and no one else.

No comments: