Sunday, November 26, 2017

Reflection on Luke 17:11-19


Over the years I have had the opportunity to hear many people at many Thanksgiving tables share the things for which they are thankful. 

Most of them are heart-felt, yet predictable: “family,” “friends,” “children,” or “spouse.”  I have even heard a couple of people mention the rare but coveted “good employment.”  But, some of the most memorable came from children.

When it was his turn to share, one little boy answered, “Chocolate.”  When his grandmother asked him to share something a little more appropriate and dignified he answered, “Dove chocolate?”

Another child was asked what she was thankful for and she answered, “Cucumbers.”  OK.  I guess she really appreciated cucumbers. 

But, I love the answer from one little guy provided when his grandfather asked what he was thankful for. 

The boy answered, “Amebas.” 

“Amebas?” his grandfather asked.  “Why amebas?”

“Because they’re small,” he beamed proudly.

Who can argue with that?

What I really like about these answers is that they are so heartfelt and honest.  I do not know about you, but I am tempted to believe that my thanksgiving answer somehow needs to be profound or heartwarming.  I actually take a little time to think about and plan on what I am going to say. 

These children, on the other hand, simply answered what was right on the top of their heads…or right on the top of their tongues, because they were simply and purely thankful for those things.  They felt no need to plan ahead in their answers.     

We see this sort of purity of thankfulness coming from that tenth Leper in our Thanksgiving Bible reading from Luke 17. 

As you already have read, all ten Lepers called out for healing.  All ten Lepers were instructed to go show themselves to the priests so that they might be found clean and allowed back into the everyday life of their towns.  All ten Lepers walked away and looked down to see that their skin was made clean.  All ten were healed by Jesus as a gift, but only one was made whole. 

What I mean by that is that only one had a heart that was compelled to return to Jesus and give thanks.

We might be tempted to be a little harsh of the nine who walked away without giving thanks.  I know that in the back of my mind I sit on the judgment throne and declare them unworthy, as if I am qualified to do such a thing. 

But, here is the one thing that gives me pause: Jesus found them worthy of healing.  

No, they did not return to give thanks, but all of them followed Jesus’ instructions to a T.  The nine went off to the priests as they were told to do.  The nine did as they were told and were healed.  The nine were all probably great people.  The nine were probably a lot like you and I who go about our everyday lives, yearning to do the right thing and yearning to be healed.

I once talked to an emergency room worker who regularly saves lives, and out of curiosity asked how many people sent letters or cards of appreciation after their lives were saved on those dark nights.  He responded that he rarely gets them, but that is not why he does it.  Maybe ten out of every hundred people sent a letter or card giving thanks. 

Now, I was never any good at math in school, there is a reason that I am a pastor and not an accountant, but if my math serves me right, I think 10 out of 100 emergency room clients is the same percentage as 1 out of 10 lepers.

All of us are healed, but not all of us are made whole. 

All of us recover, but only a few of us have a change in heart. 

The tenth leper was made whole.  The tenth leper had a heart that was changed toward faith.  The tenth leper was given something special, and I think that I yearn to have it. 

I yearn to have that sort of gratefulness to Jesus.  I yearn to have such a purity of thankfulness.  I yearn to have such faith.  But, such wholeness of faith is a gift and not a task to accomplish or a rule to follow. 

Given that, I guess that my simple prayer to Jesus is to be made whole. 

I desire the purity of thankfulness that can appreciate amebas.  I desire the gratefulness that causes me to stop in my tracks, turn around, and worship.  I desire to love as much as I have been loved. 

But, until my prayer is granted by Jesus, I guess the best that I can do is find ways to take time to be thankful to Jesus.  I know it is not the same, but just as smiling when you are unhappy can actually bring about happiness, maybe, just maybe, the practice of being thankful every morning and evening will open up the door for Jesus to make us whole…to make us truly thankful. 

No comments: