Monday, October 23, 2017

Reflection on Matthew 22:15-22

So, in God’s kingdom, is it right to pay taxes to the government or not?
Most people say, “Yes,” assuming that they have answered as Jesus does, and just move on in life. So, is comes as a surprise to many that Jesus actually does not answer so simply. He does not give a simple “yes” in answer to this question, and the reason that he does not is extremely important to our faith.

But, before we get into that essential faith part, you should understand something about the context of the conversation first: a trap had been set for Jesus in this question.

When the Pharisees ask Jesus if it is lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, they have created an environment where they think that Jesus will most certainly fail. Their hope is that the mighty prophet will finally slip up a fall from on high.

If you look close at the bible text, you will see that they have invited the Herodians to be a part of the conversation. The Herodians are pro Caesar and pro Roman culture.
Therefore, should Jesus answer, “No, it is not right to pay the tax to Caesar” the Herodians are there to be offended and turn him over to the authorities.

There is good reason to expect that he might say “No” after-all. First, the poll tax was really unpopular with the people to whom he was preaching. Second, paying the tax could be seen as being tantamount to honoring another God, as Caesar claimed this title for himself.

I know that I promised an angle on this story that is essential to your faith, so bear with me as I give you one more bit of background. It is important.

On the other side of this perfect set-up to take down the mighty prophet Jesus is what would have happened if he would have answered "Yes." If Jesus had answered “Yes, you should pay the tax,” he would have incited a riot because, as I said before, the tax was really, really unpopular with the people to whom he was preaching. And, on top of losing his popular base, he could be accused of honoring a false God.

Whether Jesus answered “Yes” or “No,” he would lose. It was the perfect trap, except that Jesus is Jesus and he refuses to play along with our earthly games.

Telling them to take out a coin, which they had readily available, Jesus answers, "Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor's, and to God the things that are God's."
I do not know if you noticed, but this is not a straightforward “yes” or “no” answer. Rather than saying, “yes, pay your taxes,” or “no, do not pay your taxes” he makes his accusers stop and think about what belongs to whom. What truly belongs to Caesar? What truly belongs to God?

He makes them think about lives and their faith.

He makes us stop and think about our lives and our faith.
If you think about it, we ask these types of questions of Jesus all the time. Take this one. In the context of providing for our family we ask, “Jesus, is it right and holy for me to work all these extra hours away from my family?”

I imagine that Jesus' answer would not be a straight "yes" or "no" but would rather go something like: “Give to your employer what your employer deserves and give to God and family what God and family deserve.”

“That is no answer, Jesus!”

But, the answer does cause me to ask myself, "What does God expect of me? What relationship does my work have to my God and my family?"

After-all, in the end, God deserves it all right? In the end, everything is God’s and everything is done for God.

So, Jesus’ non-answer is actually brilliant as far as my faith is concerned, because it causes me to stop in the tracks of my busy life and consider if my work is contributing to the cause of God’s kingdom or not? Are the extra hours worth it? Do I act at work in a way that furthers all that God cares about? Does my work itself, help or hinder God's cause? What could I do at work that would show God’s love in word and action?

On top of all of that, it also causes me to ask myself if working so much causes me to forget some little children and a wife who God cares about also.

The answer that Jesus provides does not answer the question, but the answer does seek to draw me closer to God, draw me closer to my family, and draw me closer to caring about the things that God cares about.

So, what about those taxes? Do we pay them or not?
Jesus answers in essence, “Give to the government what is the government’s and give to God what is God’s.”

Again, everything in existence is all God’s, including the money. Therefore, Jesus’ non-answer causes me to wonder things like, “If I do pay my taxes, is it being used for the things that God cares about? Does it help the poor? Does it defend against injustice? Does it help improve and maintain people’s livelihoods through good roads and bridges and support of essential industry? Does it seek peace first?

If it all belongs to God, I am forced to get interested and involved in the politics of government so that the concerns of God’s kingdom are reflected in our very governments.

Beyond the tax question, we ask Jesus even more questions, “Jesus, is it right to devote so much time to my family?” “Jesus, is it right to take the new job and leave my old one?” “Jesus, is it right to continue in the relationship?” “Jesus, is it right to help my troubled son?” Jesus, is it right to stick by my good for nothing friend?”

In each of these cases, when praying to Jesus for guidance, Jesus is not going to give you an answer that sounds like “Yes, you should stick by your friend” or “No, you should not.” Instead, he will say something like, “Give to your friend what your friend deserves and to God what God deserves.”

In other words, Jesus is going to ask you to consider what God would desire. After-all, every situation in life, every decision, every movement, and every action you make belongs to God. It all belongs to God.

You belong to God. Your life belongs to God. The decisions you make belong to God.

Never forget, you were bought with a price: God’s very own son. If God gave up his son for you, how important and essential are you?

You are God’s own, you will always be God’s own, and, therefore, all you do belongs to God.

As the Apostle Paul indicates, your hands and feet…your whole body…belongs to God.
Even your sin belongs to God. Jesus takes them all to the cross and puts them to death. Jesus takes you to the cross, takes you through the darkness into the light of new life.

What I find amazing in Jesus' answer to the Pharisees is that Jesus’ answer does not rebuke those who would seek to destroy him. He could have not responded and dismissed them entirely as if they did not exist. He does not do that. Rather, Jesus invites them to think deeper. He invites them into a closer relationship with God that may lead to a better relationship and, thus, a better life.

Even those who would seek to destroy him are still God's own.

When those who seek to trap Jesus walk away amazed at his answer, do they see their lives differently? Do they see their lives free from the trappings of life and free to be who God desires them to be?

Do you?

Do walk away from this bible text free from the burdens of this life and free to serve God as God would see fit? Do you walk away amazed as one of God’s own children?

No comments: