Thursday, August 20, 2009

Reflection on Proverbs 9:1-6

“Come over to my house. It is perfect. It is beautiful. It is a place of rest. It is my home…the home of me, Wisdom.

I have sent my girls out to find you; yes you. You desire wisdom don’t you? You desire me, right? Then come and have dinner with me. I will give you a rich feast. It is a feast of fine red wisdom wine, and perfectly grilled wisdom steak. It is a meal that even the foolish cannot pass up. In fact, it is a meal grilled perfectly for those who stumble through life. And, the wine quenches the thirst of those who seek to do good to their neighbor.

Here let me give you a sample of the succulent meal I will provide.

‘Treasures gained by wickedness do not profit, but righteousness delivers from death.’

Here, try this little morsel,

‘The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence.’

And I love this one, it will wet your appetite for more,

‘Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.’

Come and eat my meal. Eat your fill of wisdom. Partake of me. Eat my flesh, drink my blood. Taste and see that the Lord is good. Do not just look at wisdom as one stands back and admires a nice mountain lake painting, but does not wish to enter into the painting’s waters. Enter into the waters of wisdom. Enter into the waters of life.

Wisdom is woven into the fabric of life. Without it, our world would fall apart and we would know nothing but argument and war. Enter in, and allow yourself to be a strand in the fabric that hold’s God’s creation together, peace, goodness, care of neighbor; Wisdom.

On your way in, beware of foolishness. She is across the street, hanging herself over her rod iron balcony.”


“Hey boys! Hi ya girls. Why are you listening to that old windbag? Where are you going, come over here. Everyone knows all of the fun is on this side of the street.

Don’t worry about anyone else, they will take care of themselves. It is time for you to worry about the most important person in the universe, you. It is time that you get some pleasure. I’ve got plenty to spare.

You want a good meal? Just take it…you deserve it. No need to work. No need to look out for anyone. Let everyone serve you. I’ve got some very pleasing bread for you, eat it in secret…keep it for yourself.

Step in the door, I’ve got lots of visitors. We love people who are struggling, it is so easy to get you in the door…I mean so good to set you into the lap of luxury.

Here smoke this. Here drink this. Why are you hesitating? Come on in. Take a peek in, look at all the dead…I mean formerly active people. Come, get your pleasure…get your rest. God has nothing for you. Wisdom has nothing to offer.”


“Foolishness, you cannot win. Wisdom holds creation together, you are nothing but broken pieces and broken promises. You fall away into nothing. You are not able to win. You are not able to hold creation close just as God holds creation close to God’s heart.

Come back over to this side of the street. Yes you. It is OK. I does not matter that you have paid a short visit to foolishness. You are always welcome over here at my table. Sit and eat the goodness of the Lord.

Yes, those are wounds on my hands. I got them for you. You are worth it. I want to the best for you. I hope that you will want the best for those around you also. That is the way of wisdom. Lay aside immaturity and live. Walk in the way of insight. Walk in ways that shows love to all. Walk in God's Wisdom.

No comments: