Friday, June 6, 2008

Reflection on Matthew 7:21-29

As I listened in on the conversation, I knew that the Christian community that I was visiting was different. Certainly, it appeared very different. The congregation met in a warehouse with couches for pews and home-created artwork hung all around us on the walls. A band played self created hymns quietly in the background. And while people ripped off huge chunks of communion bread from deliciously seasoned and baked loaves, with a glass of wine in hand, they talked. For a good fifteen to twenty minutes they talked. During Holy Communion, they talked. It could almost be considered rude to God if the talk were small talk. But, there was no mention of the mall, or where people are going for vacation this summer.

Instead, the talk seemed much more "holy." This was hard to believe as most people there were dressed in ripped jeans, t-shirts, and well worn sneakers. One kid literally had his skateboard leaning against one of the couches. I guess that was his transportation to church. Yet, the conversation was holy and I was soon convinced that somehow this small community of Christians has built their house upon solid rock.

As I walked around the Holy Feast…it was more than a feast, it felt more like an adult party…as I walked around this Christian party I heard words that rung of the Sermon on the Mount. I heard, “I am soooooo sorry, I just wasn’t thinking” come from the mouth of a young woman with a bandana tied to her head. Bandana girl had not yet taken any bread or wine, as if she were living out the words of Christ, “So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift.” The woman she was addressing gave her a hug and I could not help but think that the hug spoke the words, “For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

And older couple walked up to the pastor and told him that they were willing to trek overseas and help cradle and rock orphans in a dangerous and hostile land (earlier in the service this opportunity was brought up). They were willing to give up a summer of golf and grandchildren, and go into enemy lands to walk the extra mile for children of the enemy. Christ’s words, “love your enemy,” and “go also the second mile” seemed to be imprinted on their souls.

On one couch a young guy patted the back of another. I walked nearby. At this point, I admit that I was prying. I did not care because I was fascinated by this community. A quick listen revealed them talking about a rocky marriage. Again, words from the Sermon on the Mount on lust, divorce, and forgiveness entered my mind as the man doing the back patting gave sage advice to his friend on that couch.

I do not know how they had done it, but this community had somehow figured out a way to live Christ’s teachings from his Sermon on the Mount in that warehouse. Many houses of worship appear to be blessed by God with fine towers of stone, huge choirs that reverberate down the street, and flawless worship. But, are they truly blessed? I cannot actually make that judgment call myself. Perhaps, there are wondrous and amazing examples of the kingdom of God at work beneath the grand façades. However, I fear that sometimes there are not, and the stone steeples of those churches will quickly topple as their foundations wash away, because they have not yet discovered the wonderful gift of Christ and his Sermon on the Mount. This foundation…this teaching is already laid. It is rock solid. It is free. It is a gift. All are invited to build upon it.

The sermon is a wonderful gift that, if actually attempted, bolts the Christian community to a rock, serving to keep it strongly held together, forgiving of all, at peace with itself, loving of perceived enemies, and living God’s vision for the kingdom.

The power of that small community was not from its grand worship or its powerful presence in town. The power of that community came from its willingness to accept the gift of Christ’s teachings, and from its willingness to give them a try. They were a kingdom community, and people could sense that from the minute they stepped in the door. You could not help but be drawn into this kingdom living. It was powerful. It was strong. It was as if life were built on a rock, and it was. They were a kingdom community and I pray that more and more churches become kingdom communities. The world of suffering and chaos need us to stand strong and be who we are called to be: kingdom communities who do not ever forget Christ’s peace, Christ’s love of all, and Christ’s forgiveness.

God, help us stay away from foolishness. Help us stay away from building on sandy ground. Point the way to your rocky ground, that we may continue to build there. Amen.


All Scripture quotes are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyrighted, 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and is used by permission. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My heart was touched by this posting. I recognize the hunger in your heart as the same hunger in my heart. In fact, you inspired a new post on my blog that links to yours.

It also has inspired me to pray that all who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be satisfied.