Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Reflection on Good Friday

On Good Friday, I heard again the story of Jesus crucifixion and I thought to myself, "Don’t these people know what they are doing? They are killing a guy whose only flaw was that he cared too much. They are murdering a peaceful, innocent man. Don’t they see what they are doing? Just listen to Pilate. He’s trying to warn you that you are making a bid mistake!" But, they cannot stop themselves. They know what they want, and reason will not persuade these people. These people are so broken. The world is so broken. I am so broken.

Love is sadly easy to kill. Once when I came home for a long weekend from college, out of love my father took my dirty clothes out of the trunk of my car. He washed them, folded them, and placed them next to my luggage. Unfortunately, when I saw the clothes, I did not see the love. I only saw one sock that must have accidentally been washed with the reds, it had turned slightly pink. I looked at my father and said, “Why didn’t you sort my clothes better? You ruined one of my socks Dad!” The very next moment, as I looked into the dejected eyes of my father, I saw the truth; love is sadly, painfully easy to kill. You usually do not see the bloody murder until it is too late. I still wish I had not said that. The world is so broken. People are so broken. I am so broken.

If only someone could take the guilt and pain away. If only someone could take it away with them and put it to death with them on a cross; burying it away in a grave once and for all where it will no longer haunt or hurt people's lives. If only someone would do that for us so that we might have a chance of living a clean, healthy, new life.

Christ, thank you for loving broken people like us. Love may be easy to kill, but it is impossible to keep in the grave for long. May love return to us soon. Amen.

No comments: