Friday, November 20, 2009

Reflection on Mark 13:1-8

(The following is a stewarship sermon given on November 15th, 2009.  There were many visitors to the congregation that day due to a baptism.  That is the context of the sermon, now enjoy this reflection.)

Before I even begin my sermon today, I would like to give just a few words of encouragement, instruction, and reassurance. The reassurance goes out to everyone who is visiting here today. Throughout the rest of the service you are going to hear about money and giving. I want to reassure you that we do not always talk about money and giving. Our primary focus…even today…is the good news, God’s unconditional love for the whole world through Jesus Christ.

I say that because I was visiting a church once, and happened upon their stewardship Sunday. They talked about money, they sung about money, and…as it was a Pentecostal church…they even danced about money. I left that church thinking to myself, “they are God’s people and all they care about is money.” I am certain, now that I think back, that they probably cared about a great many things other than money; I simply had chosen to visit on the one Sunday that they secretly wished no one would visit. Therefore, as a visitor, you do not need to feel compelled in any way to give to this church or make some sort of financial commitment to it. That is the job of the disciples of this congregation. You are here simply to hear the good news of Jesus Christ, nothing more is expected of you.


And, speaking of disciples, if you attend this church, but are certain that you are not yet a disciple of Christ, then you too do not need to worry about any financial commitment this day. The Church is here for you…to bring the good news to you.  You are not here for the existence of the church.

And last, if any of you believe that I am a hypocrite when it comes to talking about money and giving, then I will assure you, I will put your heart at rest, that you are 100% correct.

Sometimes I give wonderfully of myself and my possessions to the work of God, and sometimes I do not. Like you, I am a confused mix of good intentions and selfish desires. I desire to enter into the lives of people who are suffering and provide them some comfort from our loving God. And for that you do need some comfortable shoes (tennis shoes are placed on the pulpit).  But, what if it’s winter? Then you need some boots (boots are placed on the pulpit). Or, what if it’s summer? Then you need some sandals (sandals are placed on the pulpit). Or, what if you are wearing tan pants? Then you need some brown dress shoes (brown dress shoes are placed on the pulpit). Don’t you see? I am completely a mix of good intentions with a very healthy dose of selfish desires. I am trapped by stuff. I am quite literally trapped by my stuff.

I need to reform! Have you not experienced this?  Every time that you commit to reform your ways, to clearing out a space in your house, and you start to give away what you have for the sake of others and for the sake of God, you inevitably have a birthday, or Christmas comes, or Father’s Day comes, or National Potato Day comes? You will not believe the amount of gifts…that I buy for myself on National Potato Day. Agh!!!! I suffocate myself and fill my existence with stuff, and somehow I miss those around me who will not have to worry about the tortures of too much, or the horrors of being full.

It is a huge problem that people…real human beings…are forgotten just as the poor man, Lazarus, was not even seen starving at the foot of the rich man’s door. But, is it not also a problem for me, that I am stuck trusting in something that is certainly going to rot, rather than trusting in the one who gives me life every waking moment?

I think that I would be horrified if I were standing with the disciples, staring up at the beauty of the temple, noticing how glorious are the columns and gold façade, and hearing from Jesus that this beautiful place is soon going to be nothing but rubble. I would be truly horrified. And, when I saw it fall into rubble, I would be stricken. Grief would overtake me, and I would not be able to breathe. Beauty should not be destroyed.

But, have I not been lead astray? Have I been led to believe that beautiful things are important and that relationships are not? Have I been led to trust in the comfort of shoes rather than conversation; and nice cars, rather than welcoming people to my dinner table; and beautiful homes rather than forgiving a former friend; and possessing lots of movies rather than possessing and living out the story of God’s love for all?

Jesus says that temples will fall into rubble and that possessions will rot away, but the word of the Lord will never rot away. God’s unconditional love for the world will continue to live on in the hugs and smiles of newly baptized babies, in disciples who carry forgiveness on their shoulder like a high priced bag, and people who allow God to turn their lives away from dead things, to the living God and the living God’s purposes.

As a visitor, you may be wondering why we talk about money and giving once a year. Surprisingly, the primary reason is not to get more money for the finances of the church. The church will do its ministry with the gifts that it has been given as it has done for centuries. Rather, we talk about it for my sake, and for yours. It is a spring cleaning of the soul, moving out our trust in money, and shoes, and making space for God to direct our lives. Every year, I get tired of being pushed around and reoriented by my things, and every year I get a chance to do some spring cleaning so that my faith can be restored once again. It is a chance to reclaim a simple life in Jesus Christ.

No comments: